Monday, December 29, 2008

NOBUNNY interview


Nobunny! "Love Visions" LP cover


By: Rich Tupica
richtupica@hotmail.com
(This first appeared in Maximum Rock N Roll, Nov. 2008 issue)
http://www.maximumrocknroll.com/



Armed with only a furry, white bunny mask, a pair of pink panties, and set of knee-pads, Tucson, Arizona's own Nobunny delivers catchy bubblegum punk with a smile and a whole set of spastic dance moves.
Nobunny is a seven-year-old jackalope/human that isn't afraid to mingle with the crowd while letting his genitals bounce to the music, which is what he has been doing since his first gig in 2001.
Some reports have claimed that Nobunny is actually an alter ego of Justin Champlin, 31, of Okmoniks and Sneaky Pinks fame, though that is yet to be confirmed.
When asked about his identity, Nobunny commented, "I have a stupid human mask that I wear sometimes before I go onstage — so I don't get mobbed."
While the mystery of his genetics still looms, the music of Nobunny is clearly a pop majesty that could make the Ramones dance in their graves.
Non-stop touring and an already classic LP later, Nobunny shows no signs of slowing down.


How would you describe yourself?
I'm that fool in the alley laughing. I'm that body sleeping in the park. I'm a skateboard and a tallboy.


What city did you grow up in? What did you do to keep busy as a young lad?
I was born in the desert about 45 minutes outside of Tucson, Arizona, on March 3, 2001. Momma was a jackalope and daddy was a human. People think the desert is all death, when in fact there is a lot of life — jackrabbits, wild dogs, rattlers, scorpions, coyotes, and the moon. The moon is my other mother. I used to set up drums in the desert under a full moon and get weird. My childhood ... my sister mainly raised me. She fed me peyote and taught me how to kill.



Photo: Rob Karlic


According to the Chinese proverb, "A sly rabbit will have three openings to its den." Tell us about your den.
My den is groady to the max. I never learned how to take care of myself. I'm surrounded by my own bodily fluids in bottles and cans, on tissues and shirts, on the floor, on plates, on my sheets. The windows are always open, and I do little there other than sleep and creep. I have always had an aversion to home and a need to roam. I'm not a stay-in and watch TV kind of guy. I don't like to speak indoors. Outsider, all the way. The libraries and public parks are my dens.


When did you first start playing music? What inspired you to get started with the rocking?
I was born an Elvis impersonator. I quickly got bored with the formula and started writing my own songs. The first was "No Bunny Blues." I performed on the street in the big city of Tucson, but my first official show was on Easter 2001 in Chicago. It was the day Joey Ramone died, which was a bummer, but the show had to go on. I did a few originals and covers of the Dictators, Bobbyteens, and the Electric Eels.



Photo: Rob Karlic


What influences make up Nobunny?
Girls. Girls. Girls. The elements: air, earth, water, and fire. Love. Truth, The moon. As far as music: Hasil Adkins, Lil Bunnies, Albert Ayler, Elvis Presley, the Cramps, Gentleman Jesse, John Battles and ELO.


Did you ever go to college?
I went for three days. I'm not sure how that happened as I'm only seven and I hate school. It makes me nauseous. To each their own.


What is a typical day like for you?
I spend most of my time in libraries and public parks. I'm a pretty social fool, but I do spend most of my time alone, either reading, drinking, or sleeping. Or designing my BJ machine.




Photo: Rob Karlic


What are some records you have been jamming lately?
I only have about twelve records and I never listen to them. I really love music, but I'm really poor and stupid. I almost never listen to music. I don't have a record player, CD player, or even a tape deck. That said, lately I love Cheap Time, Thin Lizzy, and Dreamdate.


Do you plan to keep playing music? Or do you have other aspirations?
I love playing music, and I don't plan on stopping. I wouldn't say I "need to do it," but it would seem silly to stop. I also love goin' to the bone yard with female humans.



Photo: Bullyrook


How did your debut LP, "Love Visions" (1-2-3-4 Go Records), come to be?
The songs were all home-recorded—some with people, but mostly by myself. I'm really touched that people like it at all. I've had a lot of people asking to put out records, and while I certainly want to put out more it takes me awhile because I'm picky about songs and stuff. I'm pretty burnt on bands that put out a billion records a year with only a few good songs between 'em. That said, look for more Nobunny records coming your way soon.
Hopefully I can put out some quality as opposed to quantity.



Photo: Canderson


How has this recent tour been going for you?
Touring has been awesome. It's all I really want to do lately. Touring and porkin'. Touring and porkin' and getting high. Touring and porkin' and getting high and eating pizza and pork. I've been on three tours in the last few months and they keep getting better and better. Each one has been crazier than the last. I've had a different lineup each trip. With So Cow I had a band that included Mr. So Cow, Jason Testasecca, and Trent "Dirt Turd" Purdy. When I was out with the Okmoniks I played by myself. On this last tour with the Wax Museums, they backed me up every night. It was so punk you could puke.


Is there a groupie scene for Nobunny?
Groupies? Sadly, no, but people sure like to grab at my bits and throw spanks at my butt when I'm performing. The closest thing to groupies is probably some fat dudes in Goner shirts. Bless their greasy lil' hearts. Next time I play Portland I've agreed to perform with Dave and Teri's (Slip Its, Tie Reds) new band, the Stuffed Animals, so hopefully we can get some furverts out to that one.



Photo: Dan Lang


Being a jackalope, was it harder to get a record released? Is there a Nobunny fan club yet?
Well, I'm not fully a jackalope. I'm not really anything when it comes down to it. The only real trouble I've had as far as releasing records is my inability to send people recordings. I have a bunch of fun projects lined up, but I have a serious self sabotage problem. I could have a bunch of records out already, but I'm real picky, which, honestly, I wish more bands were. While I don't think what I've put out is all that hot, at least I don't put out a half-baked 7" a month.
Part of me wants to because I realize that these things come and go in phases, and that a year down the line no one will care about me, but I still don't want to just put out any ol' turd. Just golden turds, or at least bronze — shit, what am I talking about? The Nobunny fan club doesn't actually 100 percent exist, but I'd like it to. I got some awesome friends and fans out there.


Are there any other jackalope/humans that you have encountered? If not, how do you plan to procreate?
While I'm not 100 percent of their exact heritage, there are a whole mess of bunny jerks on this big blue marble. You got your Lil Bunnies, The Rhythm Chicken, and Bun E. Carlos, to name a few. While I think kids are cool, cool, cool, and I love, love, love to love, love, love the ladies, I have no, no, no plans to have this bloodline continue.



Photo: Canderson


Have you ever encountered any prejudice?
People think I'm a gimmick, a joke, a pig in the poke. I guess I am, but not any more than most of these other jerks in these other jerky bands. You can still be passionate and express yourself without taking yourself real seriously. I'm quite often too honest and open with people, not in the sense of being mean, but more being honest about what I'm like, which is apparently not for everyone.
Deep down, I'm a good person, or I try to be and deep down I'm not, or, shit, no, I don't know… I just know that some fools like me and some sure don't. That's okay though, be it prejudice or not. I get called a "fag" here and there, but I don't really care. Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke. They are the joke. They are the enemy. I am the cookie monster. Only I'm more like the sex monster, the drunk-sex monster, the drunk-sex monster in your closet, the drunk-sex monster in your closet breathing to the beat. I live the life I love, and I love the life I live, c'mon.


What is Nobunny's ultimate goal in life?
Endless Summer. Ultimate Scummer. No Bummers. But seriously folks, I'd just like to keep touring and playing for peeps, playing for keeps. Know what I mean? Tour, tour, tour.





Hop on over to these NOBUNNY links:
Nobunny on MySpace:
http://www.myspace.com/nobunnylovesyou
BUY the NOBUNNY LP!
http://www.myspace.com/1234gorecords
Sneaky Pinks:
http://www.myspace.com/sneakypinks
Okmoniks:
http://www.myspace.com/okmoniks
Visit Maximum Rock N Roll!
www.maximumrocknroll.com

This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License
Copyright: Maximum Rock N Roll.


1 Comments:

Blogger leighannderthal said...

love love love to love nobunny.gr8 inyerviw super-fun. i like silly smutty sincerity. love visions is a radical record.

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home


View My Stats